Monday, April 2, 2012

Help! I am feeling overwhelmed

Doesn't it feel like in life, there are so many things to juggle? Have u ever felt like you have so much to do, and barely have the time to finish it? Does it feel like no matter what you get done in a day, there is still something left to do.

Life can be compared to a train, which keeps moving, even if you fall off track, and sometimes you have to catch up because time is running out. Most people I know have not one, two, but several projects or roles that they play; and sometimes it can be very difficult to choose what should come first, because you feel they are all important.

It is not just time that needs to be balanced, one needs to learn how to balance all the different roles they play. I am sure you’ve heard this phrase before, “I have got a lot on my plate”. It is so easy in life to feel burnt out, because we are trying to do everything. I love what John Maxwell said about people who try to do it all.

To Stay Focused in Life: You can't know everyone you can't do everything, and you can't go everywhere we have to pick and choose between good and a little bit better.

The truth is some of us assume we are super-beings, and we are able to do it all, and so we push ourselves beyond our limits, and end up working ourselves to death. The world in which we live in is a pressure place, we’re constantly bombarded with things we have to do, and are constantly on the move, which leads to exhaustion.

The world system is set-up in such a way that you have an imbalanced life. It encourages you to be on top, to out-do others, to keep working until you achieve tremendous success, to put work before your health, before your family, before your relationship with God & others, it encourages you to constantly work, and not take a break.

A life that is lived in this manner only leads to emptiness, regret, and pain. The question I have for you guys is: Are you happy with the way your life is going? Do you feel able and capable of living a balanced life? Or you feel you’re going through the motions, and just trying to get through the day. Finding a balance in life has been a daily struggle for me, I am a detailed and conscientious person, so I love to take my time to do things, so I can do it right.

On a regular day I come up with a list of things I need to do like: (I have to do my assignments, do laundry, send that email, go to work, make that phone call, take a nap and the list goes on and on), at the end of the day I get some of those things done, the ones I don’t get done I feel guilty. I also struggle with finding time for school and balancing both my friendship and personal life, it feels like I have to choose one over the other because one thing takes over the other.

What inspired me to write this blog was the fact that I felt my spiritual life was suffering. I was doing everything else but was not finding time for God, or not finding a church home and worshiping with other believers every Sunday. It is one thing to forget to turn in your assignment, or forget to eat or sleep, or forget to take the trash out, but when u begin to forget to pray, read the bible, or spend quality time with God, that’s when your life begins to get off track.

That was when I finally got the message, when your proper priorities are not in place, and you put the most important things at the bottom of your lists, instead of the top then everything else in your life begins to fall out of place.

I was not experiencing the fullness of God, I wasn’t enjoying my life, I was always feeling stressed out, complaining often, not pleasant to be around, I felt my life was heading for the rocks. I had to come to the realization that there are some things you don’t compromise: for example, you don’t compromise your relationship with God, you nurture that relationship, you don’t compromise your role as mother or father (God has given you the grace to play that role well), and you don’t compromise your family, or your friendships. In order words no matter how busy you’re you should never be too busy to be there for your family, your friends, and nothing should take the place of God in your life.

It is only when we put first things first that the other things in our lives remain intact. Finding some kind of balance in our lives, is so important because life can be so stressful & overwhelming without it. The key is finding what is really important to you, knowing what to compromise, setting the right priorities, and not trying to do it all.

We have only one life to live, and if we do it right we just need one time”. Balance is very difficult to achieve, it cannot be done without prayer, and it cannot be done without God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Follow me kenobeckford.blogspot.com

Charrylove said...

following your blog.